News from British and Canadian Conservatives

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Life in Calgary Centre

I haven't blogged in a while, but now seems a good time to start again. I joined the board of Calgary Centre Conservatives last month, thinking that it was a good time to gently ease myself into the local Federal political scene after more than a year on the Provincial campaign trail and with plenty of time to learn the ropes before the 2015 election.

Unfortunately, it seems that Lee Richardson had other ideas. He announced his resignation before I had even attended my first board meeting, so hopefully it wasn't the thought of working with me that pushed him to resign. Regardless, we're now heading into another political whirlwind with a soon to be announced selection race, followed by a campaign which will be run by some of the countries most experienced political operatives, from whom I hope to learn a great deal.

So far, I have only heard from Joan Crockatt, who I met this evening. She certainly has an impressive background, combining business ownership with extensive experience of politics, media and the energy industry, which is an enviable resume for anyone seeking to represent one of the world's leading energy centres.

Of course, John Mar also has a high profile locally, as Alderman and former member of Lee Richardson's board, and will have a strong campaign in place. However, he also has to overcome the perception that his voting record at City Hall is fiscally liberal. His campaign manager, Stephen Carter, as plenty of experience on that front though.

No comments: