News from British and Canadian Conservatives

Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Holiday in Folkestone

I was amazed to read in the Folkestone Herald today that Kensington & Chelsea Council paid £15,000 for 40 elderly residents to spend 3 nights in Folkestone during the Notting Hill Carnival. That's an amazing £375 each. To put that in context, Saga offers the over 50s a week's all inclusive stay in a 4 star hotel in Majorca for only £344 each, with no single supplement to pay.

Next time an eco-fascist tells me that we should ban flights and all holiday in England, I'll remember why it is that we don't!

I suspect that it's also an indication of how much better the private sector is than the public sector when it comes to providing these kinds of services. I'm quite sure that our railways could be run just as cheaply as the low-cost airlines if only there was less state interference.

No comments: