News from British and Canadian Conservatives

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Publication of candidates

The list of candidates standing for Shepway District Council, Folkestone Town Council and the other Towns and Parishes of Shepway has now been published. In Morehall, our candidates are Rodica Wheeler and Peter Monk. I've worked with both in recent years. Rodica was my running mate in Morehall in 2003 and Peter was part of the YC committee when I was chairman, and I wish them both all the best. I certainly believe they are the best candidates for Morehall. There will be no Conservative candidates for Folkestone Town Council's Morehall ward. The Town Council should never be as politicised as other levels of government, and I wish Richard Wallace, who is an Independent, the best of luck in that race.

I'm finding it quite hard not being a candidate, but know that it's the right thing to do. I've worked hard for Folkestone, and especially Morehall, for the past 3 years and would love to have been able to carry on. Sadly, sometimes life just gets in the way of what we want to do. Balancing work life and private life can often be challenging, and the addition of public life to the mix can be too much at times. I've reached such a time, as work has become busier and I have wedding plans to make. In due course, Corissa and I will have a family, so I really wouldn't have time to represent the people of Morehall at the same time.

In addition to that, Corissa and I plan to emigrate to Canada sometime in the not too distant future, so I can't be sure that I will be around for the full 4 year term. That doesn't mean to say that I'll disappear overnight. I'll continue to do whatever I can for Cheriton and Morehall regardless of the outcome of the election. It's not necessarily the end of my stint in politics - I hope that I will be able to get involved at some level in Canada as well.

No comments: